[postgis-users] [jdbc][datasource] use postgis through JDBCinSpring

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Wed Oct 18 07:30:20 PDT 2006

Nicolas,

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net [mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Nicolas Delsaux
Sent: 18 October 2006 15:24
To: PostGIS Users Discussion
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] [jdbc][datasource] use postgis through JDBCinSpring

On 10/18/06, Norman Barker <nbarker at ittvis.com> wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I wrote a tutorial on doing this with PostGIS and EJB3 annotations (within JBoss) here - http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?SpatialEJB3

I've already looked at this document, and I'll go deeper in.

<ncb>thanks, feed back your comments - I would appreciate it. </ncb>

> I know it sounds as if I am reinventing GeoTools / GeoNetwork, I am not really I just need clustering, and annotations make life very easy (if a little harder to debug / follow!) and also the catalog needs to be LGPL if I am to use it.

So, do you say that geotools, although not fully complying your needs,
provides such a datasource for postgis ?

<ncb>
I am not a geotools developer (though I have used it, and GeoServer), but by your question I thought you were referring to a J2EE datasource which to me is different from 'just' a JDBC data source. Since with a J2EE data source such as postgis-ds.xml everything is configurable, and we are talking CMP persistence etc.

As I remember GeoServer (and so I guess Geotools) has connections for spatial databases (Derby, PostGis, MySQL) - I used the MySQL connector for a servlet app and it was great.

I am not knocking any other projects, I am just looking specifically at a J2EE (so the full stack), and not just the web tier, deployment.

Also annotations are more closely aligned to your question about containers / spring.
</ncb>

> Let me know if you need any help.

<ncb>again, happy to help if you let me know what you plan</ncb>