[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.1.5 Win32 Binaries for PostgreSQL 8.2 beta 1 available

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 02:50:14 PDT 2006

Hi Mike,

> Thanks - these binaries work great.
>
> There is one issue I found with the installer.  If I choose not to use
> the option to create the postgis database automatically, it still tries
> to make the template_postgis database.  If there is no PostgreSQL
> service initialized and running yet, the installer fails here (but is
> still essentially installed from what I can tell).

Yes, this is deliberate. The idea is to automatically create the
template_postgis database as part of the install; selecting the option to
create the postgis database creates a new database called "postgis" using
this template that the user can immediately jump in and use (the best
metaphor would be to assume that the "template_postgis" database is a
class while the "postgis" database is an object).

If you feel that there are problems in the way that this works, please
feed back to the mailing lists.

> At any rate, thanks again for the making these.

No problem. Since this is a snapshot of the code that will make the
official 8.2 installer, please do let us know if you experience any
problems with it.

Kind regards,

Mark.