[postgis-users] GEOS crashing PostgreSQL?

Carlos Lozano Diez clozano at quavantis.cat
Tue Oct 24 14:57:29 PDT 2006

strk at refractions.net wrote:
> Tyler, did you run 'make check' in both GEOS and PostGIS build trees ?
> That first step will attempt to catch any 64bit specific bug.
> Postgis 1.1.5 should be compatibly with any GEOS exposing the C-API,
> postgis's ./configure final summary should tell you if you're using the CAPI
> to interface to geos, as should postgis_full_version().
>
> --strk;
>
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 01:15:20PM -0700, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm installing PostGIS (v1.1.5) and GEOS (v2.2.3)from source on a brand new 64 bit opteron machine, running Fedora Core 5.  Everything except GEOS functions seems to work okay, or at least that's what I think.
>>
>> This simple test crashes postgresql server:
>> "
>> # select buffer(pointfromtext('POINT(1 1)'),1);
>> server closed the connection unexpectedly
>> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>> before or while processing the request.
>> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed.
>> "
>>
>> It resets just fine afterward.  I originally started trying them both from SVN but thought maybe that was too bleeding edge.  But even after rolling down to a lower version, I still can't get this going.  Do I need to go lower yet?
>>
>> Is anyone else running on a similar platform and have this working okay?
>>
>> I'm having trouble finding any docs to help me know what versions of PostGIS and GEOS are compatible.  Any pointers?
>>
>> Tyler

Hi,

I've built PostGIS 1.1.4, GEOS 2.2.3, proj 4.4.9, postgresql 8.1.4 on a
Suse 10.1 x86_64 distro, running on an dual-opteron machine and
everything is working perfectly. Albeit that it would seem that
performance is down with respect to a postgresql 8.1.3+postgis 1.1.1
install on the same machine - but aside from that the entire systems
performs as it should.

Is this a problem exclusive to 1.1.5? Have you tried to build 1.1.4?

I can assure you that that works fine on 64bit - with GEOS 2.2.3. I can
say that with some certainty - I have well over 12 million GIS records
and all my geospatial queries and operations testcases work fine.

I've configured myself some scripts and a TAR with all the stuff needed
to quickly build the system and get it up and running. If you want to
test my config I can ftp it to you somewhere.

Regards,

Carlos Lozano