[postgis-users] pg_restore problem - linked to different versions?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 04:25:19 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 14:40 +0100, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I dumped my locally newly created database and wanted to restore on
> the server. But I got this message.
>
> pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.10) in file header
> pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.10) in file header
> pg_restore call failed
>
> I guess the problem comes from the fact that:
>
>    the server runs with     PostGres 8.1.0 and PostGIS 1.1.2
>    my local machine with PostGres 8.1.2 and PostGIS 1.1.1
>
> Could that be? And what can I do to solve the problem? In the moment
> we won't touch our server, as it runs smoothly. And on my local
> machine, a Mac, the different packages have been installed via the
> prebuild packages from KyngChaos. I am no compiler.... So, not too
> keen to re-compile Postgres and Postgis.... But I guess it's what I
> have to do, right?
>
> Thanks for any hints...

Hi Stefan,

Could it be that you have multiple versions of pg_restore on your
server? Looking at the PostgreSQL source code, version 1.10 headers were
introduced with the advent of tablespaces (PostgreSQL 8.0) and so you
are attempting to restore your pg_dump with a pg_restore for PostgreSQL
< 8.0.

So you need to check your paths and make sure you are using the
pg_restore from your PostgreSQL 8.1 installation. Perhaps if you
installed PostgreSQL 8.1 yourself, you need to be using the version
in /usr/local/bin rather than the version in /usr/bin which originally
came with your distro?

Kind regards,

Mark.