[postgis-users] Geocoding

Brad Ediger brad at bradediger.com
Fri Feb 2 12:39:10 PST 2007

Yes, the TIGER/Line data can be horribly inaccurate, and the Navteq/
Tele Atlas data is horribly expensive.

Google Maps provides a geocoder web service (http://www.google.com/
apis/maps/documentation/#Geocoding_Examples) via HTTP but it is rate-
limited to 50,000 requests per day. They have some commercial-use
restrictions, IIRC, and you can't use any of the GMaps services for
real-time tracking. But it might fit the bill.

Their commercial-use service is pretty darn expensive, too. Starts at
$10,000 per year and goes up from there.

hth,
Brad