[postgis-users] Geocoding

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 2 13:23:43 PST 2007

While not PostGIS based, there is C-based PAGC (www.pagcgeo.org) that
does do batch geocoding, and could be configured to run under CGI as
a web based application. PAGC is designed to work with shapefile
sets, and can be easily customized to work with any address ranged
road network file (albeit, less customization will be needed for US
and Canadian layers).

There are problems with TIGER/Line, but its performance is actually
not that much worse than commercial products. The following link may
be of some interest on this:

http://lagic.lsu.edu/LGISC/Presentations/2005/LGISC-PRES-20050420-
Geocoding_Evaluation.pdf

In terms of commercial products, a road network layer for a single
state runs around $1000 to $1500.

Dan