[postgis-users] PostGIS GUI for "admins"

Marc Compte mcompte at sigte.udg.es
Mon Feb 5 05:16:45 PST 2007

Hi list,

I have been searching for a while for an application that would let me
display the contents of my PostGIS databases. I have seen uDig does the
job very well, as well as some other open source software out there, but
there's still one funcionality I'm looking for and I haven't found it
anywhere.

Seeing how interesting and powerful are the geographic functions that we
can use on SQL expressions, I have been looking for an admin application
that lets me type my SQL (as in pgAdmin for PostgreSQL) and shows me the
resulting table as well as the resulting map.

So far, I've seen applications that show maps out of entire tables and
let you filter individual tables as well, but on these applications I
have never found a place where I could type my entire geoSQL expression
and get a map out of it.

Something a bit like http://sigserver4.udg.es/doctorat/postgis ... but
obviously ... a bit more well thought.

My biggest aim would be to have it as a tool for myself to be able to do
tests on my databases but I also want to use something like this to
teach our students about PostGIS, thus having a graphic drawing of the
SQL queries would help them a lot to visualize the meaning of the SQL.

Does anyone know if there is such thing somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Marc