[postgis-users] help plz

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Mon Feb 19 06:06:15 PST 2007

Hi Lavanya,

You could consider using pgRouting (http://www.postlbs.org/) .

This extension to Postgres/PostGIS needs some topology and topology support
for PostGIS is still in its infancy and barely documented

Now to implement ‘topology’ the *easy* way
 ;-)

Use OpenJump! (http://openjump.org)

There’s a tool there called ‘Planar Graph’

You can use it to get every line segment documented (start and end nodes for
each line).

Add a ‘length’ field to your dataset.

OpenJump also has a tool to calculate areas and lengths
 ;-)

Save your dataset from OpenJump into PostGIS.

The ‘length’ field acts as an initial cost for turning
.

Then use the shortest_path() function from pgRouting and you’re on your way!

Also heard from the developers of pgRouting that support for turn
restrictions is somewhere in the near future
 ;-)

(OJ Peopleà I’m posting this to the list as I think it’s useful ;-) )

HTH,

Pedro Doria Meunier