[postgis-users] satellite data (MODIS) into PostgreSQL - PostGIS database as points or grids?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Feb 20 16:51:07 PST 2007

Hi Jan,

I will qualify my comments by saying I am far from an expert on this,
but I have been following the discussion on the list with some interest.

I will start by saying the there is not really any good way to import
and store raster data into the the database today. There has been a lot
of discussion on this and there may even be some work that people are
doing on this.

I think the common answer today would be to store the metadata about the
image and maybe a path to the image in the database. You could also
extract and store the bbox of the image so you could see how the image
interacts with other data you might have in the database.

I think you will find that the next common response to this question is:
Assuming we did load the data, what would you want to do with it in the
database? You have sort of hinted at this in your item 2 below. Using
your IDL to ascii and then storing them as points or whatever, would
really depend on whether or not this would be an efficient format for
whatever you want to do next with the data. Can you easily and quickly
perform the analysis that you need to do if it is stored in that format?
Can you pass it to R for visuallization, or to openGIS?

This is probably the correct place for me to step out and allow others
to comment.

I hope this helps,
   -Steve