[postgis-users] satellite data (MODIS) into PostgreSQL - PostGIS database as points or grids?

Jessica M Salmon jmsalmon at fs.fed.us
Wed Feb 21 11:30:02 PST 2007

Hi Jan,

I developed an operator that acts on MODIS level1b data, extracting pixels
that meet certain (mainly spectral) qualifications, and loading these as
points into a postgis database. These points are then further filtered
using spatial tests against other datasets in the database. To implement
this operator I used java. The JHDF, JAI, and Geotools libraries were
extremely helpful.

I extract only a small percentage of the MODIS pixels, and still the data
volume becomes overwhelming in time. I cannot imagine loading all of the
pixel data into postgis. Think about what you really require there and why.

If you would like to know more about what I have done and how, I am happy
to share more detail. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Meghan

             <Jan.Verbesselt at c
             siro.au>
             postgis-users-bou         <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.
             nces at postgis.refr         net>
             actions.net                                                cc
                                       Kimberley.Opie at ensisjv.com,
                                       Glenn.Newnham at ensisjv.com
             02/20/2007 05:32                                      Subject
             PM                        [postgis-users] satellite data
                                       (MODIS) into PostgreSQL - PostGIS
                                       database as points or grids?
             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

Hi all,

After searching the mail archives and postGIS website I didn't find the
right answer to my questions.

1/Does anyone have experience on how I could import HDFEOS (MODIS)
satellite data in a database system efficiently? Currently, I would
transform the hdf files to ascii files via IDL an import these into the
database.

2/Should the data be stored as points (X,Y,value) or can they be
imported as a raster in the database such that spatial and temporal
analysis is still possible (visualisation via R, openGIS progs etc.).

Or as I found in the mail archives; Should we online create a path (link
to the data) to the hdf files and store this in the database?

All related info, examples, advice is mostly welcome,

Kind regards,
Jan

Jan Verbesselt
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Ensis - the joint forces of CSIRO and Scion
Private Bag 10
Clayton South VIC 3169 - Australia
Tel: ++ 61 3 9545 2265
Fax: ++ 61 3 9545 2448