[postgis-users] responsiveness of Postgis support

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Jan 12 17:22:02 PST 2007

--- Guido Lemoine <guido.lemoine at jrc.it> wrote:

> Magic! I have to make a presentation to the suits about the advantages
> of OSS. One issue is about speed of development cycles. Now, I have
> a nice practical example matching my request for the AsKML function
> to a new release 3 days afterwards.
>
> GL

You might also look through this thread

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-May/thread.html#12114

I had a problem after an upgrade, emailed the list about it before I went to
bed, then checked my emails when I got up to find it discussed & fixed
overnight.

Absolutely fantastic.

Another recent case. I was discussing some GDAL/OGR development I'll be funding
with the developer, Frank Warmerdam (in the GDAL channel on IRC).

I took advantage of the opportunity to also ask it would be possible for proj
to return degree longitudes in either +-180 (default) ot 0-360 (for those of us
near the 180 meridian this is very useful).

In 10 minutes it was done & in CVS. Downloaded & tested fine... and still
going.

I have no qualms about Open Source support (provided you pick your packages :-)

Cheers,

  Brent