[postgis-users] Multiple Schemas with PostGIS

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jan 16 09:07:01 PST 2007

Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

>>> Nothing changed in this reguard. The hard part is PL/pgsql functions
>>> in need to know where postgis is installed. Might be done at build
>>> time, but then your enabler script will be bound to your specific
>>> configuration. IIRC later pgsql version behave more nicely.
>>
>> We use it all the time installed a one schema and referenced in
>> another schema. We control this by setting up users and search_path.
>
> Can you explain more exactly what that means? The reference, and what I
> am supposed to do? If I am not mistaken, the search_path can be
> specified in postgres.conf, no?

Something like this (assumes postgreSQL 8.0+):

1) create a database
2) create a schema say "postgis"
3) set search_path to "postgis", public;
4) run the scripts to install postgis will go into "postgis" schema
5) create a new schema say "project1"
6) set search_path to project1, postgis, public;
7) work with postgis in the "project1" schema

-Steve