[postgis-users] Re:PostGIS (& Apache/PHP) on a Windows USB stick

joanne cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 00:38:00 PST 2007

Hi All,

I'm very interested in the idea of postgis/postgresql on a usb stick, or at the least a standalone installation. I have done a fair bit of digging around too, and it seems as if no one can see the point in this, or that they think it's a lazy thing to ask for! What I am trying to do is provide a preconfigured version of xampp that contains a suite of gis tools, and postgresql/postgis is pretty much the last on the list to be included. You would need it to be run from a batch file or something, rather than as a service. The obvious problems are finding out the unprivileged user that it should run as, and setting the paths, since the drive letter might change. Things like python will run from a usb stick if you install them onto a hard drive then copy the directory over, and set a few enivironmental variables, so I am hoping that it will be possible to do the same with postgresql. I don't really have very much more to contribute though, but it would be nice to keep this debate running!

Cheers

Jo

Joanne Cook BSc MLitt AIFA MBCS
Information Systems Coordinator