[postgis-users] re:Problems with making own shape dumper

дорофеев александр megadrofan at yandex.ru
Fri Jun 15 02:31:40 PDT 2007

> but I met issue with ASTEXT() function that returned a broken string in some
> multipolygons. I can`t understand where is a bug .ASTEXT(the_geom) returned
> normal string. But when I`m trying to set this value to some field or
> dump it into some variable ,the string became broken.
> The dicussion of this bug
> http://postgis.refractions.net/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=151

(cut)

> "What is the reason of ASTEXT() function issue? and what to do to fix it?"

>>Please send us an exact set of instructions to replicate the problem
>>from an empty PostGIS database, including any CREATE TABLE statements.
>>This should be a text file that we can simply cut and paste into psql.
>>If we can recreate it, we can fix it.

>>Kind regards,

>>Mark.
I took this shapefile (Arc) and uploaded it into postgis using standart shp2pgsql
Then I  tryed to download this data into shapefile using my own dumper and I`ve got an error with spliting string on feature with FID=7. Then i dumped this geometry string into textfile and got this (brokenstring.txt)
then i made biggeom.sql and run it in psql to see if a string will be broken  and all was fine
The Developers said than it is a bug of ODBC driver. I checked this sugggestion by addind text field to postgis table and run such sql UPDATE testtable SET testfield=ASTEXT(the_geom) and the string in this field became broken (maybe not finished) on small objects the value of this field looked well