[postgis-users] a newbie question

TECHER David davidtecher at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 21 05:29:50 PDT 2007

Gustavo Ces a écrit :
> Sorry about this question,
>
>     i want to create another table from selecting a previous one (
> with the_geom and gid)
>
> create table foo as select gid, the_geom, other_columns from
> previous_table
>
> this query creates the table with the other columns, gid and geom but
> if try to open it in a client, it fails.
>
> Which is the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Galois

Hi Gustavo,

If your client fail so I suppose ythat your client is perhaps QGIS or
MapServer, it is because you don't specify a key or a oid

So do something like this with  foo <=> communes_bourgogne and
other_columns <=> nom_comm, insee_comm

First create your table and populate it with oids and WITHOUT specify
the_geom

bourgogne=# create table test WITH OIDS as (select gid, nom_comm,
insee_comm from communes_bourgogne) ;
SELECT

then use the addgeometrycolumn() function properly:

bourgogne=# select addgeometrycolumn('test','the_geom',(select
srid(the_geom) from communes_bourgogne limit 1),(select
geometrytype(the_geom) from communes_bourgogne limit 1),2);
                    addgeometrycolumn
 public.test.the_geom SRID:27582 TYPE:MULTIPOLYGON DIMS:2

(1 ligne)

times to populate the_geom

bourgogne=# UPDATE test set the_geom=communes_bourgogne.the_geom from
communes_bourgogne where communes_bourgogne.gid=test.gid; UPDATE 2042
bourgogne=#

if it doesn't work ...Il should be better to try pgsql2shp/shp2pgsql
(that's the old solution)

1) export as shp

pgsql2shp -f <shapefile.shp> -h localhost -u <user> <database> "select
the_geom, other_columns from previous_table"

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPECIFY GID, IT SHOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY CREATE WHEN
YOU IMPORT IT

2) import into a new table

shp2pgsql -DI <table> <shapefile.shp> | psql <database>

then delete <shapefile.shp> <shapefile.shx> <shapefile.dbf>