[postgis-users] Install problem

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Wed May 2 13:01:53 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 12:55 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> By which you mean the has_arc symbol doesn't exist in GEOS3 and it
> should? Guessing randomly here...
>
> (FYI, Brent, these things are usually caused by the liblwgeom library
> being unable to link to some other library at runtime, usually GEOS. In
> this case it looks like there is a mismatch between the library
> liblwgeom is built against and the one it is loading. Any chance you
> have both geos2 and geos3 on that machine?)
>
> Paul

I think it's even simpler than that - quite a few people have reported
this on the list over the past few months. Basically the curve changes
in PostGIS 1.2.x have only been implemented using the GEOS C-API rather
than the C++ API. Since PostGIS 1.2.x only uses the C-API for GEOS
2.2.x, PostGIS 1.2.x will not work for versions of GEOS < 2.2.0 as the
relevant symbols are missing from the older C++ API.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the GEOS code to produce a
suitable fix, other than to change the autotools config to reject
versions of GEOS < 2.2.0 :(

Kind regards,

Mark.