[postgis-users] GeomUnion problem

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu May 3 18:36:59 PDT 2007

--- Martin Davis <mbdavis at refractions.net> wrote:

> Another idea - are you using the latest version of PostGIS/GEOS?  The
> recent release added some GEOS enhancements which were designed to
> address this issue.

Thanks Martin,

The version I'm running is:
ben200601=# select postgis_geos_version();
 postgis_geos_version
----------------------
 2.2.3-CAPI-1.1.1

I believe this is pretty much the current release, apart from the RC's of V3.

Sigh, I need this to work within a week or so somehow, I was hoping to use this
project as a showcase of FOSS GIS, but murphy strikes :-)

Is GEOS v3RC going to be reliable enough for a mission critical production job
with several million polygons to be manipulated?

What is entailed in upgrading GEOS?
Do I need to rebuild & reinstall PostGIS?
Will the current DB/data still be accessible?

Or is there some way of tweaking the underlying polygons to be combined to
address the problem?

Appreciated,

   Brent