[postgis-users] PostGIS 2.0 Wishlist

John Zastrow jcz at northredoubt.com
Wed May 9 06:32:20 PDT 2007

My wish is for better support for RPM/deb installation. Particularly on
the "commercial-grade" OS's (e.g., RHEL/CentOS, Suse).

I know maintaining packages is time consuming, but this whole process is
painful.

http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?PostgisRpmInstallation

Short of that, how about a guided install script that (1) checks for
Postgres sources on localhost, (2) fetches the latest postgis sources
(2b) including latest stable dependencies (e.g., Proj4 and GEOS), (3)
walks the user through the make process, (4) sets up Postgis users in
Postgres then (5) guides the user through setting up their first Postgis
database.