[postgis-users] Well done with GEOS & QGIS!!!

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu May 10 12:35:31 PDT 2007

--- Martin Davis <mbdavis at refractions.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Brent (for pieces which apply to me....  8^)
>
> And if you use JUMP you can use it to perform the isValid test as well
> (it's built on essentially the same codebase as GEOS)  8^)

I have used JUMP, but not for some time. I found it's memory management for
layers with millions of features was a problem, I guess more a JAVA problem
than JUMP problem. QGIS might take a few minutes to retrieve & render the data,
but it gets there.

& then I have a QGIS developer (C++ programmer) just down the hall, & no JAVA
developers around at all :-)

Note that I can do isValid in QGIS (sort of) in the where clause which QGIS
passes to PostGIS.

It's great to have the choices though. I had a sea-ice dataset for the Ross Sea
(Antarctica) which I used JUMP to show in a presentation, as QGIS (then) did
not support transparency, & overlaying transparent weekly layers was a very
effective way to illustrate the regions which remained clear in each season.

An animation gave the sense of ice movement better, but did not give the
overall view showing the clear seaways (which were suitable for fishing)
throughout the season.

So thanks again for your contribution!

Brent