[postgis-users] Postgis 2.0 wishlist

Dave Potts dave.potts at pinan.co.uk
Wed May 16 00:54:30 PDT 2007

Willy-Bas Loos wrote:
> My wish for Postgis 2.0:
>
> If you're changing alle the function names, maybe it's time to make
> system objects of them, stored in a seperate system schema (along with
> the types, operators, etc)?
> Backing up /Restoring data is a pain when these (possibly outdated)
> objects (with hardcodes library paths) are included.
A nice idea, I agree that having to change the system paths is a pain,
but if making all these function system object is to hard, perhaps you
change the value of expression

CREATE FUNCTION area(geometry) RETURNS double precision
    AS '$libdir/liblwgeom.1.1.so', 'LWGEOM_area_polygon'
    LANGUAGE c IMMUTABLE STRICT;

to something like

CREATE FUNCTION area(geometry) RETURNS double precision
    AS '$syslib, 'LWGEOM_area_polygon'
    LANGUAGE c IMMUTABLE STRICT;

Then  only one value would have to be changed, instead of every expression.

Dave.