[postgis-users] precision limitations

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed May 16 10:03:05 PDT 2007

Violetta Kalathaki wrote:

> Is there any precision limitation when storing vector geometry in PostgreSQL/PostGIS??
> Furthermore do any changes occur in data quality?I have to make an evaluation of
> PostgreSQL/PostGIS and I would really appreciate an answer.

Double precision.  Whether changes occur in data quality is a matter of
interpretation.  The ugly canonical form (hexwkb) is specifically to
avoid data precision drift during input/output procedures.  Probably
PostGIS is better at testing for and enforcing quality than many spatial
systems. Want to test for validity? Use IsValid(). Enforce validity?
Make IsValid() a column constraint.