[postgis-users] Newbie help

Andy Dale andy.dale at gmail.com
Thu May 31 05:44:11 PDT 2007

I have just started using PostGis 1.2.0 on Postgresql 8.1.4.  Most of the
data I wish to store in is Long/Lat type coords in the format ((N|S|E|W)
degrees, minutes, seconds, tenths of seconds, hundredths of seconds), with
the degrees for latitude being 2 digits and degrees for longitude being
3 digits.  The characters
N,S,E,W are there just to specify if the relevant coord is north/south
of the equator, or east/west of the zero meridian.  Is it possible to
just store the data in the (D)DD:MM:
SS.TenthsHundredths format (usually WSG84
datum) and use them for calculations, or must i first convert them to
the decimal equivalent
before saving them ?? And if i have to convert can postgis perform the
transformation/calculation for me.

Cheers,

Andy