[postgis-users] GEOS union() error

Lee Keel lee.keel at uai.com
Tue Nov 6 10:41:44 PST 2007

Hello list.

I am trying to get a multipolygon from a union of buffered linestrings.  See
attached (bad_drawing.jpg) to see what I am trying to achieve.  I have some
linestrings, I want to buffer each line by 400 feet, then combine all of
those buffers to create one multipolygon.  My thought was to do something
like:

select geomunion(buffer(the_geom, 400)) as the_geom from main

However, when I do this, then I get the following error:

NOTICE:  TopologyException: side location conflict
(901411,1.03413e+006,1.03413e+006)

ERROR: GEOS union() threw an error!
SQL state: XX000

Now my guess is that the geomunion is throwing the error because the buffers
overlap and of course that would be an invalid polygon.  So, could someone
purpose a different approach to doing this?  Or tell me what I am doing
wrong.

 <<bad_drawing.jpg>>

Thanks in advance,
Lee
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.