[postgis-users] postgres.exe processes

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Nov 7 04:28:52 PST 2007

Its not uncommon, but I guess it depends on what you mean by many.  I
think there are usually like 4 reserved for various system tasks so even
when your server is doing nothing, you probably have 4 going.

Based on my limited understanding of how postgres works, its because it
is based on a multi-process architecture rather than a multi-threaded
architecture.

A lot of processes could signal that you are not properly closing your
connections in your web app.  You may also want to consider using
persistent connections in your web app if you can.

Now getting back to checking why you may have so many postgres processes
running.  Run the following query

SELECT * FROM
pg_stat_activity

and it will tell you what postgres processes are running and what they
are doing and what databases are doing.  I don't think this includes the
system processes though (at least not on Windows) so the number you see
in pg_stat_activity is the (actual number - 4)

Hope that helps,
Regina