[postgis-users] How can I get points of a polygon

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Fri Nov 16 08:38:31 PST 2007

Amrita p wrote:

>   Hi All,
>
> I want to display all coodinates of a polygon. Is there any function
> in postgis to get the coordinate of a polygon.

In a round-about kind of way.

Use can use ST_ExteriorRing(...) and ST_InteriorRingN(...) to extract
the lines from the polygon.
Then use ST_PointN(...) to get the points in the LINESTRINGs.

> Is there any method to split polygon into two or more parts if
> co-odinates are given...

You mean split a polygon given a line that crosses?  Not directly.
But you can do this:
- extract the lines that make up the polygon (as above)
- add to this your crossing line
- geomunion the lines together.
- polygonize the union-ed set

Cheers,