[postgis-users] Query performanace against huge point table

Gregory Williamson Gregory.Williamson at digitalglobe.com
Fri Nov 23 18:02:04 PST 2007

Kevin Neufeld wrote:

> Yes, clustering your table based on your GIST index does help because it
> physically orders the rows in your table based on the spatial index.
> The disk head won't have far to move to retrieve the next page.

Does this apply to GIST indexes in general or are points a case that benefits particularly ?

We tend to have fairly static spatial datasets that get augmented periodically and this might be of use it applies to polygon data as well.

Thanks,

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)