[postgis-users] Debian distributions

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Mon Nov 26 07:16:48 PST 2007

* Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
> I'm wondering if the Debian maintainer for postgis is on this list?

Uh, yes, and no, you don't need to also Cc me.

> I just upgraded to Etch and I'm sad to find out the the GIS stack is
> terribly out of date.

Etch is Debian/stable.  It's intended as a stable platform and doesn't
get major version bumps.  It was released with PostgreSQL 8.1.

> Any chance that postgresql-8.2-postgis or postgis package(s) could get
> backported and posted on packports.org using postgis 1.3.x

Uhh..  Did I miss something, or do you *actually* see PostgreSQL 8.2 in
Etch?  I don't think it'd be terribly useful for postgresql-8.2-postgis
to exist w/ postgresql-8.2.

If you'd like more recent software but a less stable platform, you might
try Debian/testing or Debian/unstable.

http://www.debian.org/releases/

	Enjoy,

		Stephen