[postgis-users] Debian distributions

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Nov 26 07:53:54 PST 2007

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
>> I'm wondering if the Debian maintainer for postgis is on this list?
>
> Uh, yes, and no, you don't need to also Cc me.
>
>> I just upgraded to Etch and I'm sad to find out the the GIS stack is
>> terribly out of date.
>
> Etch is Debian/stable.  It's intended as a stable platform and doesn't
> get major version bumps.  It was released with PostgreSQL 8.1.
>
>> Any chance that postgresql-8.2-postgis or postgis package(s) could get
>> backported and posted on packports.org using postgis 1.3.x
>
> Uhh..  Did I miss something, or do you *actually* see PostgreSQL 8.2 in
> Etch?  I don't think it'd be terribly useful for postgresql-8.2-postgis
> to exist w/ postgresql-8.2.

I got postgresql-8.2 from backports.org, I will check with whomever
posted that and see if they will add postgis to it.

> If you'd like more recent software but a less stable platform, you might
> try Debian/testing or Debian/unstable.

Yes and no, so here is the catch 22. We want the stable version of the
OS, except for some specific vertical applications like GIS that we are
focused on.  So we are forced to pull these from backports.org, hack
source packages from testing or sid (if we are lucky, or knowledgable
enough) so we can load them on stable, or build from source and install
without apt. The later makes it hard to manage multiple systems.

Also postgresql 8.3 is in beta, so I have to believe that 8.2 is very
stable at this point, so having it as an optional version on Etch, I
would think would be a good thing, aside from the potential
proliferation of packages.

Thank you for your response,
  -Steve