[postgis-users] ERROR: Out of memory

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 14:16:54 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 10:24 +0200, Andreas Laggner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i tried to perform the "union approach" from Kevin
> http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?ExamplesOverlayTables
> the first query worked fine:
>  CREATE TABLE all_lines AS
>    SELECT St_ExteriorRing (the_geom) AS the_geom FROM ffhsinglerep
>    UNION ALL
>    SELECT St_ExteriorRing (the_geom) AS the_geom FROM spasinglerep;
>
> but in the second one i get an error:
> CREATE TABLE noded_lines AS
>    SELECT St_Union(the_geom) AS the_geom
>    FROM all_lines;
>
> ERROR: Out of memory
> SQL Status:53200
> Detail:Failed on request of size 20750552.
>
> If anybody knows what may be behind this error......i have no idea!
>
> Cheers      Andreas

Aggregates shouldn't run out of memory in general; the only time I have
seen this discussed is if a Hash Aggregate plan is chosen for a large
number of rows due to incorrect ANALYZE estimates. What does the output
of "EXPLAIN SELECT St_Union(the_geom) AS the_geom FROM all_lines;" show?

ATB,

Mark.

--
ILande - Open Source Consultancy