[postgis-users] ESRI Shapes from database

Lee Keel lee.keel at uai.com
Tue Oct 16 10:30:35 PDT 2007

  _____

From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
[mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Obe,
Regina
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:40 AM
To: PostGIS Users Discussion
Subject: RE: [postgis-users] ESRI Shapes from database

Sorry if  my questions are kind of stupid and basic

So is the data in SQL Server 2000 nothing more than the stuff in an ESRI
shape file but stuffed in a database (and is that an ESRI shape record per
record or like a whole esri shape table in a SQL Server record).  Or is it
some other format like WKB.

Is your 2GB problem for an individual geometry or for a whole shape table
stuffed in a row or something?

How did it get into SQL Server in the first place?

Thanks,

Regina

[Lee Keel]

Regina,

A table in Sql Server is equivalent to a shape file.  A row in the table
only contains a single shape.  The shape is an ESRI specific format that we
have parsed apart and can determine the type of shape and the points that go
with that shape.  The memory limit that I ran into is per single shape, but
it is a problem with Microsoft and garbage collection and I can't seem to
get around it.  Plus parsing this value and putting it in as text is very
slow and I was hoping to speed this process up by moving the parsing and
comparison into the database.  The shape got into Sql Server using an ESRI
shape file and using some custom tools that we wrote.  But the users edit
these shapes in our main product, so I can't use these shape files as part
of the import.

BTW, I don't think these were basic nor stupid questions.  If someone
doesn't have to deal with ESRI's shapes on a regular basis, then they
wouldn't necessarily know this.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

  _____

confidential, legally privileged and/or exempt from disclosure pursuant to
Massachusetts law. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you received
computer.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.