[postgis-users] ST_Difference Syntax

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Oct 22 13:39:20 PDT 2007

How have you failed?  Did you get an error or some unexpected result.

ST_Difference takes as input 2 geometries - ST_Difference(geom1, geom2)
and returns that portion of geom1 that is not in geom2.

I generally use it in conjunction with intersection.  If 2 geometries
are Disjoint - do not intersect then ST_Difference returns just geom1 I
believe which is not terribly interesting and a bit of a waste fo
processing speed since there are easier ways to return that.

So you would use it something like this - for example if you wanted to
know that portion of a land parcel that is not built on, then you would
do something like

SELECT ST_Difference(l.the_geom, b.the_geom)
FROM parcels l INNER JOIN buildings b ON ST_Intersects(l.the_geom,
b.the_geom)

Note here I am making the wrong assumption that only one building lies
on a parcel - so this example is a bit flawed (but simpler than my real
query), but hopefully will give you an idea of how it is used.

Note: There is the less popular ST_SymDifference(geom1, geom2) that
returns that portion of geom1 + geom2 that is not shared.  Thus it is
called Symmetric Difference since the order of the arguments does not
matter.

Hope that helps,
Regina