[postgis-users] ST_<function> vs <function>

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 13:30:37 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 16:03 -0400, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I seem to have missed reading some vital post or something.
>
> What is the difference between ST_<function>() and <function>()?
> Is this just a renaming for namespace issues?
> Are the <function>() names deprecated?
> Are there other benefits to this renaming?
>
> Please explain or point me to the relevant docs.
>
> Thanks,
>    -Steve

Hi Stephen,

I don't remember there being much discussion about this, but the
relevant commit can be found here:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-commits/2007-June/000074.html. In short, the old function names are deprecated, and new applications should start to use the ST_ prefix functions instead.

ATB,

Mark.

--
ILande - Open Source Consultancy