[postgis-users] ST_<function> vs <function>

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Sep 10 03:58:57 PDT 2007

Steve,

Just to add to what Mark said.  There is a little bit more going on than simply a renaming.

Most if not all of the ST relation functions have automatic index use enabled in them.

For example

the old within is really closer to the hidden _ST_Within  and the new
ST_Within function is equivalent to writing the old

geom1 && geom2 AND Within(geom1, geom2)

Same goes for ST_Contains, ST_Overlap etc.

Hope that helps,
Regina