[postgis-users] Postgis-RSS feeds

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Tue Sep 11 16:03:54 PDT 2007

Glenn,

> Has anybody explored outputting (or automatically updating) GIS layers from Postgis to remote mapserver or cartoweb WFS clients using RSS feeds?  Is this practicable/more simple/or a nightmare??
>
> I am working on distributing attribute information in a simple text/reporting dashboard, which will have a WFS client- so would like to explore if RSS is a possible method to set up and distribute content for remote user ( very non-technical people) viewing.

Glenn,

You might be interested in a Google group where we talk about
RSS/Atom/REST/GIS.  See http://groups.google.com/group/geo-web-rest

I'll also be talking about Atom/GIS at Foss4G.

Anyway, the answer is yes.  Here is one example:

http://www.mapbuzz.com/map_feature/606

We have our own server software that does it, as opposed to a PostGIS
built-in function. But its not hard to do.

Thanks,

Charlie