[postgis-users] postgis tuning parameters

Webb Sprague webb.sprague at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:32:18 PDT 2007

> > When performing complex queries, with thousands of records and
> > geometries I am noticing that the postmaster process never exceeds 1%
> > of my system's memory (2Gb). I have tried setting the shared_buffers
> > parameter to values > 2000 ... but this only leads to an error when the
> > postgres server is restarted: cannot allocate this much mem, check the
> > SHMMAX kernel parameter.

It sounds to me like you need to recompile Postgres with new values
for SHMAX (and maybe other parameters too - I would ask on the
Postgres General list).  Building postgres is trivial, and if it is
for a production machine it might be quite worthwhile -- there might
be options for stripping debug symbols etc .

-W