[postgis-users] postgis tuning parameters

Michael Smedberg Michael.Smedberg at redfin.com
Wed Sep 26 09:37:20 PDT 2007

I don't THINK you have to recompile- I think Mark was on the right
track.

You can reset shmmax on Linux using the instructions in the "Linux"
section of
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/kernel-resources.html,
and then you can bump up the Postgres shared_buffers setting.

Basically, the OS isn't allowing Postgres to start because Postgres is
asking for too much memory.  You need to tell the OS to allow processes
to grab lots of memory, then tell Postgres to grab it.

I did this recently on a CentOS machine.  It was pretty easy and
improved performance greatly.

Good luck!