[postgis-users] Tiger Files on Windows PostGIS

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Sep 28 05:25:25 PDT 2007

Tom,

It is my understanding that the 2007 and up Tiger files are going to be
in ESRI shape.  I haven't verified that though.  If in ESRI shp format
you can use the shp2pgsql packaged with PostGIS or Ogr2OGr.

Anyrate as Marty mentioned - you can import tiger format with Ogr2OGR or
other Gdal tools.  I documented general use of Ogr2OGr here since it
seems to be a commonly asked question and have a section on importing
Tiger files.  I tried to make it as untechy as possible so its easy to
follow.

http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=ogr_cheatshee

Depending on how many you are importing, you may have to write a dos
script to loop thru the specific files you want.  Thats what I have done
in the past for say importing all of Massachusetts or US.

Hope that helps,
Regina