[postgis-users] Problems installing PostGIS on Red Hat EL 5

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Apr 1 22:39:42 PDT 2008

I seem to be having problems loading the Postgis library on a RHEL 5 box
PostgreSQL 8.3.1.  I'm getting this error

ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/lib/pgsql/liblwgeom.so":
/usr/lib/pgsql/liblwgeom.so: undefined symbol: GEOSTopologyPreserveSimplify
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT postgis_lib_version()"
PL/pgSQL function "postgis_full_version" line 11 at SQL statement

When I run
select postgis_full_version()

(or any postgis function for that matter)

Not quite sure what I am doing wrong.

First issue - I decided to try out the new Yum repository for Postgresql and
it puts everything in a different location from what I'm used to so that may
be part of the problem.

After yum install I had Postgis 1.3.2  with 8.3 has that awful aggregate bug
that crashes the server) and it had Geos 2.3 CAPI (or whatever that was).

So to get around that, I decided to compile Postgis and Geos 3.0.0 from
scratch

Here were my basic steps
1.	Download yum config from
http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/8.3/pgdg-redhat-8.3-2.noarch.rpm
2.	rpm -ivh pgdg-redhat-8.3-2.noarch.rpm
3.	yum install postgresql
4.	yum install postgis
5.	yum install postgresql-devel

--After configuring Postgresql - I did
wget http://geos.refractions.net/downloads/geos-3.0.0.tar.bz2
bunzip2 -c geos-3.0.0.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -
cd geos-3.0.0
./configure
make clean
make
make install

wget http://postgis.refractions.net/postgis-svn.tar.gz
tar xvfz postgis-svn.tar.gz
cd postgis-svn
./configure --with-pgsql=/usr/bin/pg_config
make clean
make
make install

All seemed to go fine until I queried and got that error above.

Any thoughts on the issue would be helpful.

Thanks,
Regina