[postgis-users] JSON

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Aug 1 03:56:55 PDT 2008

Sophie,
The 1.3.4 is well not actually released yet, but you can get it from the svn repository
By following the instructions here
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/  (on how to connect to the repository)

Then checkout the branches/1.3

I was hoping it would be a bit easier - to just download the postgis-svn.tar.gz (but looking at that - that looks like the 1.4 version which is kind of unstable at the moment I think).

HINT HINT to someone in dev group:  Maybe we should also output the 1.3 branch as a tar.gz?

After you have compiled etc, it outputs just the geojson part, so you'll need to glue the strings (forming your attribute) together with your favorite web language e.g. PHP, python, .NET, Perl, whatever

and then you could use OpenLayers which has a driver for GeoJSON format as described

here:  http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Format/GeoJSON-js.html

and example here (actually this one you can cut and paste an individual GeoJSON output geometry to see how it looks - take for example Paul's example below - get rid of the line breaks and paste in)
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/feature/examples/geojson.html

Hope that helps,
Regina