[postgis-users] Merge all polygons from a dataset

danny whatevar89 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 02:04:18 PDT 2008

I'm getting very long processing time from ST_Union (on a shape of europe at
1/100000 it's been running since 2 hours and hasn't finished yet; on my
previous one of 1/1000000 it took ~1 hour)
Any other alternative and quicker ways to accomplish the same operation?
I just executed st_buffer(st_collect(the_geom)) but still waiting. Should it
take as long? ST_Collect by itself executes fast but it's result violates
the geometry check constraint.