[postgis-users] Crossing roads

Andrew Ross rummage_bin at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 08:05:09 PST 2008

Hi Everybody,
I hope I'm posting to the right location (I just subscribed to this list).  I have sent this question before but have not seen it listed anywhere yet.

In any case, I have a road network in which all of the street segments are snapped together.  I need to group all of the line segments of two streets that cross each other (street 1 and street 2 as shown below) into 4 groups of segments defined as all of those located on either side of the intersection, (street segments A, street segments B, street segments C and street segments D, as shown at the bottom).

Can anybody give me a high level idea of what functions / methods can be used to achieve this?

I’ve gotten as far as identifying the 4 segments actually connected to the intersection using the ST_Intersection function.

How would I get all other segments connected to these 4?

Do I have to write a recursive function using ST_Touches ?  I’d rather not if there is a more elegant way of doing this.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

                                    1
                                    1