[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Adam Vande More adam at imedmobility.com
Tue Dec 30 09:29:05 PST 2008

Paragon Corporation wrote:
> Leo and I have a good portion of a PostGIS book written.  Ideally we would
> like to get a publisher to publish it, but seem to be running into the same
> obstacles.  No publisher seems to think people use PostGIS to warrant enough
> demand for a book dedicated to it.
>
> So to make a decent case for a book, can each of you in your own words
> describe
>
> 1) How you use PostGIS?
> 2) What you find useful about it over anything else?
> 3) Why you think there should be any book written focused on its use and of
> course if such a thing were to exist, would you buy it?
>
> Of course I'll also need some official download stats etc. which hopefully
> the Refractions group can help out with.  I think Mark Cave-Ayland had
> posted some stats a while back, but can't find them.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina

I think advanced books like these often fail because they aren't
targeted enough for the new user.  IMO, a book like this should be all
about the basics, perhaps even a little redundant on important concepts
and examples.  Once you have your head solidly around the fundamentals
of a subject, answering the advanced questions becomes relatively easy.
It's a getting a full and complete understanding of the basics which is
the tough part.  If this book agrees with my view, I would buy it
otherwise I'll just stick w/ the documentation and mailing list.  :-)

I know there are people who disagree with my view, but IMO the "For
Dummies" series is a great way to started learning at least in regards
to slowing adding tools.

--
Adam Vande More
Systems Administrator