[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Stephen Davies sdc at sdc.com.au
Tue Dec 30 15:49:46 PST 2008

We use PostGIS to store, manipulate and display soil moisture & salinity data
plus associated weather etc data for irrigators across southern Australia.
Mapserver is used to display maps and metrics (and Grace for associated
plots).
The database currently contains several million readings.

As a long-term PostgreSQL user and fan, it was a pretty obvious choice of GIS
tool - particularly given it's open source nature. It is also attractive
because of it's integration with PostgreSQL which enables easy combinations
of GIS and relational data processing.

One area that I would like to see (better) documented is that of projections
and how to mix/transform data collected with different projections eg
lat/long and AMG.

HTH,
Stephen

The On Wednesday 31 December 2008 04:06:20 Paragon Corporation wrote:
> To answer the question some of you have asked.
>
> Our planned break down was as follows (though given input we may change our
> concentration of effort in certain areas)
>
> 1) Basic Beginner stuff --
> A) a lot of time spent on how to load and dump data from-to various data
> sources using shp2pgsql, pgsql2shp, OGR2OGR
> B) Basic info of where to get data
> C) Open source tools you can use to view the data once loaded (OpenJump,
> uDig, Quantum,gvSig and pros and cons of each)
>   We would throw GRASS in there too but don't have any experience with
> that. D) SQL Primer (INNER, LEFT, EXCEPT, CROSS JOINS, aggregates what they
> are and how to use them properly) - gotchas with aggregates in PostGIS E)
> Using planner -- how to decide on indexes (and of course how to create a
> spatial index)
>
> 2) Mid Level stuff -- using table inheritance, writing plpgsql spatial
> stored procs, triggers for maintaining spatial relationships, constraints
> Security management
>
> 3) Recipe section on common use cases --  e.g. splitting geometries in
> various fashions, translation etc., statitical analysis examples, proximity
> examples
>
> 4) High Level stuff -- a little coverage on PgRouting and possibly PL/R,
> Some spatial tricks using the upcoming 8.4 windowing functions
>

> Hope that helps,
> Leo

Stephen Davies Consulting P/L                             Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                                Fax  : 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                            Mobile:040 304 0583
                                          VoIP:sip:1132210 at sip1.bbpglobal.com