[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Dec 30 09:36:20 PST 2008

To answer the question some of you have asked.

Our planned break down was as follows (though given input we may change our
concentration of effort in certain areas)

1) Basic Beginner stuff --
A) a lot of time spent on how to load and dump data from-to various data
sources using shp2pgsql, pgsql2shp, OGR2OGR
B) Basic info of where to get data
C) Open source tools you can use to view the data once loaded (OpenJump,
uDig, Quantum,gvSig and pros and cons of each)
  We would throw GRASS in there too but don't have any experience with that.
D) SQL Primer (INNER, LEFT, EXCEPT, CROSS JOINS, aggregates what they are
and how to use them properly) - gotchas with aggregates in PostGIS
E) Using planner -- how to decide on indexes (and of course how to create a
spatial index)

2) Mid Level stuff -- using table inheritance, writing plpgsql spatial
stored procs, triggers for maintaining spatial relationships, constraints
Security management

3) Recipe section on common use cases --  e.g. splitting geometries in
various fashions, translation etc., statitical analysis examples, proximity
examples

4) High Level stuff -- a little coverage on PgRouting and possibly PL/R,
Some spatial tricks using the upcoming 8.4 windowing functions

Hope that helps,
Leo