[postgis-users] How to populate a column with results of isvalid

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Dec 31 07:54:47 PST 2008

You wouldn't use that for tagging.  That is used if you want to prevent
people from adding invalid geometries into your table.  If you have
already got invalid geometries it will just fail since you have already
violated the rule you are trying to establish.

To add a field

ALTER TABLE mytable ADD COLUMN the_geom_is_valid boolean ;
UPDATE mytable SET the_geom_is_valid = ST_IsValid(the_geom);  //will
update existing

Unfortunately you can't put in a default value that references another
column which I think you may be looking for if you want to continually
add new data and have that field automatically fill.  For that you'll
need a (preferably BEFORE TRIGGER).

Hope that helps,
Regina