[postgis-users] Thematic mapping with PostGIS

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Sat Feb 9 16:26:16 PST 2008

Hi Jim,

QGIS (which is what I assume you mean by "Quantum") allows you to create
thematic maps using PostGIS layers. Go to the properties of a layer and
muck with the legend type. Alternatively, you can load PostGIS layers
into uDig (http://udig.refractions.net), and alter the style of a layer.

Dan

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 19:08 -0500, Doug Foster wrote:
> I am new to PostGIS, and want a good Windows desktop mapping tool to
> view and thematically map boundary data from my PostGIS database.  I
> have Quantum, which is a nice viewer, but it doesn’t seem to do
> thematic mapping.  I am a heavy MapInfo and Maptitude user, but they
> don’t read PostGIS spatial boundaries.  I wish they would.
>

> Is there a free/inexpensive tool to view and do some nice thematics?
> I would also like to have the “natural break” routine, which I use by
> default since it’s the beast way to break up the categories.
>

> I have been doing all my database work in SQL Server and then linking
> from MapInfo and linking with equivalent boundary files (census block
> groups and zip codes for all USA).  That’s for the birds when I’m
> running routines in SQL Server and want to view the results
> graphically on an interactive basis.  It’s very clumsy.  So
> PostgeSQL/PostGIS is a much better solution but I haven’t found a good
> way to view the results spatially.
>

> Thanks…..
>

> Doug

Dan Putler