[postgis-users] Thematic mapping with PostGIS

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Mon Feb 11 08:43:29 PST 2008

Doug, I would also recommend uDig as a good route.

Styling, using SLD in uDig great (Layers>Change Style>Theme), however
currently I'm only aware that Equal Interval and Quantile themes are
exposed in the application. A natural breaks algorithm would need to
be added, and how to go about that might be a good question for the
udig developers: udig-devel at lists.refractions.net. I'm pretty sure
that uDIG depends upon geotools/colorbrewer code to do styling
(www.colorbrewer.org/), so a lot of great styling options area likely
possible in future releases of uDig.

Another route I've pursued for styling polygon data is to use python
or PHP to pull data directly out of postgres and into custom styled
KML for viewing in Google Earth. Members of the list help get me
started doing this. The basics are to use the AsKml(geometry)
function and then wrap the resulting kml geometry in the proper KML
header, styles, and footer. I find this easiest to do with python.
I've started using an XML templating system to make this even easier
when needing to style data in a variety of ways.

The nice thing about a scripted approach outside of postgres is that
once you've tweaked your script to style you data exactly how you
want you can easily set it up as a cgi script on your local or remote
server. A KML network link from within google earth can then hit your
script via a browser to regenerate your KML and sent it back to
google earth automatically. You can embed your SQL routine inside the
script and just go back and forth between the editing the SQL inside
the script and your GE display or just have the script pull from a
database view that you keep writing over from some other SQL
interpreter.

Overall, if you just want to see your data quickly this is not the
right route. But if you are interested in tapping the visualization
possibilities of google earth it is well worth it. I'd be happy to
send code snippets if you are interested.

cheers,
Dane