[postgis-users] Pipeline Data Model

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Thu Jan 10 15:47:26 PST 2008

Robert and Abe,

On Jan 10, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Burgholzer,Robert wrote:
> If you have set up an ODBC connection to your PostgreSQL database, the
> tables can be loaded into postgres from MSAccess by using Access's
> "Export" function.

That has also been my method for going from MS Access => Postgres. In
my case I set up the ODBC connection on a windows machine then dump
the non-spatial tables from postgis to then restore into postgis on a
linux or mac os x machine. If you try to export the spatial tables
you'll get an error like this (which I have never tried to get around):
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2002-12/msg00174.php

Abe asked:

> But are you saying you can push the table
> definitions from Access into Postgres?

I am only aware of the ability to export the table with definitions
of field types - nothing more... since the odbc export functionality
operates on individual tables.

mdbtools (see below) exports basic schema from mdbs with multiple
tables but not relationships. DBcovert can export sequences and
constraints but I am not sure what else.

>  If there are spatial columns in there, this will be
> a difficulty, but the regular data will upload. Of course, any
> linkages
> will have to be reconstituted by hand, but it is a reasonable
> method in
> my experience.

I bring in the spatial columns on their own shp2pgsql.

Converting both attribute and spatial columns using shp2pgql is not
ideal because of the hassle of having all column names chopped off at
10 characters at the shp/dbf step.

I've tried ogr2ogr with the PGEO driver but at this point bugs in the
mbdtools dependency have made that a *real* challenge. It currently
only feasible on a windows machine:
http://www.postgis.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-October/013651.html

If anyone makes progress on this front do post more ideas. I can tell
from list archives that there is good reasons to avoid thinking of
postgis as a file converter, but this MDB => Postgis issue is bound
to require more and more attention as people discover postgis.

Cheers,

Dane