[postgis-users] Pipeline Data Model

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:07:21 PST 2008

Gustavo Ces escreveu:
> You can´t export a geodatabase ( i supose your model is just that) by
> odbc, because the geometric logic is not transfered ( can you export a
> geodatabase in arcgis to postgis?) I think you have to rewrite the
> model, adapting it to postgis. Is a hard work, but the you can use the
> postgresql full potential ( triggers, views, etc.. ) to make your
> model more powerfull, smaller and dynamic.
> In my experience, this work simplifies the model, and you can make it
> "real-time", user adapted, etc...
>
> I´ve posted a long time ago a question about postgis models. I imagine
> all postgis community members working alone, creating complex
> functions and schemas to solve their problems and... reinventing the
> wheel. Perhaps it´s time to create especific projects to create ( or
> traduce ) schemas and functions for various cases. I know the wiki,
> but i think in environmental members creating  schemas, functions to
> solve environmental questions( for instance). At this time each of
> them has to walk his way alone ...
>
> It´s just an opinion :)
>
> Gus

I agree with you Gustavo,

Data Models, especially the ones developed by ESRI are alone powerful.
Imagine what triggers, views and procedures can do for PostGis Data Models?

In ArcMap you cant build that kinda of funcionality without coding in
vb6 and c, skill that i dont possess. I dont possess postgreqsl or
postgis skills (im learning it :P) but for what i know, its much much easir.

I can help in some stage of the developing datamodels for PostGis. Any
others who are interested just let me know.

Att.
George