[postgis-users] I've got a silly question about performance

easpengren phat-ass at thinkheavyindustries.com
Wed Jan 16 21:10:58 PST 2008

I'm still getting the hang of some of the finer points of creating queries in
PostGIS, as is probably obvious with my last post.

I've two tables, parcel2 that is a collection of parcels in a county and a
table election, which is a table of voting precincts in the same county. I'd
like to select all of the parcels in each precinct.

I have this query:

select precinct, sit_st_num, sit_st_dir, sit_st_nam, sit_st_typ, city_code
from election, parcel2 where ST_contains(election.the_geom,
ST_pointonsurface(parcel2.wkb_geometry));

This gets the job done, but it's very slow. What can I do to speed this up?

Eric